• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • Zander
    Registrierter Benutzer

Two closed ARIA KE's & two subwoofers

Hi,

I’m building a pair of ARIA KE’s, these are going to play together with two subs (highest variable low pass 120 Hz). I’ve added a high pass filter ( 100 Hz) to the filter of the aria’s so the sub has to do the heavy work
    I prefer closed cabinets and I want to make them closed.
    Now my questions are:

What is the recommended volume for a closed cabinet aria (what would you suggest)?

Should I stuff this volume with damping material?

Is it bad that these subs are downfiring? (I heared that it’s hard to locate sound under 120 Hz?!)

Do I have to change the filter if I’m making a closed cabinet and the filter is designed for a bass reflex -housing? (maybe a stupid question but I have to be sure)

And at last, is there enough “midbass” (100-300 Hz) from the TI 100 to sound well?

Greetings

alexander
  • Pegasus
    Registrierter Benutzer

Hello,

the Aria has a cabinet volume of 4l, which is ok for the closed variant as well. A larger volume wouldn't hurt but wouldn't be of much use either. Stuffing the cabinet with damping material is essential because otherwise you would get standing waves inside your cabinet. A crossover frequency of 100Hz is low enough so that downfiring subs shouldn't cause any problems.

To find out how to design the filters you can use Boxsim. There is also a collection of Boxsim projects available (thanks to istec1003 and a lot of others) among which you will find the Aria as well: Aria.bpa

Best regards
    Stefan
    Zuletzt geändert von Pegasus; 08.11.2005, 21:50.
    TIW400 Ripol, Merci DSM, AL130/G20 Direktstrahler, Classic 200, TIW400 CB, Erstlingswerk

Kommentar

• Zander
      Registrierter Benutzer

Thanks very much!

I’ll try Boxsim and hope this gives nice results.

Regards

alexander

Kommentar

• Pegasus
        Registrierter Benutzer

By the way: Do you plan to build the subs also or are they already there?

Here are another two project files for you:

AriaKE
        AriaKE-HP

The first one is the project file for the Aria KE (below I posted the link fo the G20 version, bass response is the same though). The second has the highpass as recommended by Visaton (100Hz, -3dB: highpass). In this case the bassreflex tube may not be closed. If you prefer a closed system a slightly higher crossover frequency might be better.

Good luck
        Stefan
        TIW400 Ripol, Merci DSM, AL130/G20 Direktstrahler, Classic 200, TIW400 CB, Erstlingswerk

Kommentar

• Zander
          Registrierter Benutzer

Hi Stefan,

After installing Boxsim I loaded the files you gave me. (Very interesting program!). The filter used is the filter Visaton suggests for the aria on it’s site? Where can I see the filter design? What do you mean with slightly change the high pass, would 110 Hz be ok? Can I see the frequency response of a closed aria also in this program? sorry for the many questions…

thanks
          alexander

Kommentar

• Pegasus
            Registrierter Benutzer

Hello Alexander,

the crossover circuits in the project files are the original circuits as shown on the Visaton website (Aria KE). In Boxsim you can see and edit the crossover circuit by clicking on "Verstärker 1" -> "Weiche editieren". To see the frequency response of a closed Aria click on "Chassis & Einbau" -> "Ti100 in 4l BR". A window with several tabs will open. Select "Gehäuse" and then mark the "geschlossenes Gehäuse" button. After clicking on "ok" Boxsim will recalculate the frequency response. The Aria KE project file already contains the Aria highpass as recommended by Visaton here. So you might want to disable it for the moment to see the difference between the bassreflex and the closed Aria.

To be of further help I need to know a few things:

1) How do you intend to drive the speakers? Am I right to assume you want to use a stereo amp for the Arias and sub-amp modules with a variable crossover frequency for the subs?

2) You wrote you already added highpass filters to the Arias. Are these passive filters? If so, did you add an impedance compensation as well? Without one the filter will most probably not work correctly. You can simulate your filters with Boxsim and check if they work as expected.

Best regards
            Stefan

P. S.: In a little time I have a nice project file for you. Until then .

Kommentar

• Pegasus
              Registrierter Benutzer

Hello,

here is the promised project file: AriaKE with sub

As an example I used the TIW200XS as a sub driver because it's suited for a closed box also. The Aria in this example is closed as well. The highpass filter had to be changed, especially the impedance compensation. Visaton's version will only work well with the bassreflex port open. The sub is filtered with an active 100Hz/12dB/Q=0.7 filter. So turning your sub module to 100Hz crossover frequency should come close. A little experimentation will be necessary anyway, of course. In Boxsim you can edit the filter behaviour of the sub by clicking on "Verstärker 2" -> "Aktive Filter".

Hope that helps and best regards
              Stefan

Kommentar

• Zander
                Registrierter Benutzer

Hi there,

This is really nice!!! It’s exactly what I need!!

You where right about de amp setup: a stereo amp for the aria’s and two subamps with variable lowpass (50-120Hz) for the subs (the TIW200XS seems to do the job quite well) .
                And I didn’t add an impedance compensation… I found the buttons in Boxsim and so I’ll try to work with it!! Whaw, what a results you can have! and this with freeware.

many thanks for helping!

Kommentar

Lädt...
                X