Ankündigung

Einklappen
Keine Ankündigung bisher.

W170S vs AL170 (or Alto-G vs VIB 170 AL)?

Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • mr_push_pull
    Registrierter Benutzer

W170S vs AL170 (or Alto-G vs VIB 170 AL)?

Hello

I've built a pair of Alto-G speakers a while ago. I'm not quite happy with the dynamics and definition and I was thinking about upgrading the woofer to an AL 170, with the other required modifications for the crossovers. The box would stay unmodified, since I made it 40l instead of 28 as in the original Alto-G project (no modifications beside that). I don't have the chance to listen to those woofers, so I wouldn't like to take any chance. Do you think that the upgrade is worth the money? Could someone make a comparison between the Alto-G and the VIB 170 AL speakers? (I think that the VIB speaker is the closest to what I'm intending to build)
  • HCW
    HCW
    Registrierter Benutzer

Hello,

The Alto G is not to compare with the VIB 170 AL . I built the VIB 170AL two times, and its simply fantastic in my opinion. With 40 litres the AL170 will not need any Subwoofer, the bass will be unbelievable deep. If it should sound not so deep, but a little bit "warmer", reduce the Volume to 35 l and use the original trumpet-shaped tubes of the VIB.

The Alto G has the G20FFL, am I right? I think, this tweeter has also to be replaced (by the G25 FFL), otherwise you will get problems in the midrange, I dont know a successful combination of G20 with AL 170 yet.

kindly regards
    Christian

Kommentar

• mr_push_pull
      Registrierter Benutzer

Original geschrieben von HCW
      The Alto G has the G20FFL, am I right? I think, this tweeter has also to be replaced (by the G25 FFL), otherwise you will get problems in the midrange, I dont know a successful combination of G20 with AL 170 yet.

kindly regards
      Christian
      Thanks for pointing that out. I've just had a quick look at the VIB 170 AL details and when I've mistaken G25FFL for G20FFL. I used the G20SC tweeter for the Alto-G, since the G20FFL is out of production.
      I just though that I could get away with just replacing the woofers and the crossovers.

Why do you think that AL170 cannot work together with G20SC/G20FFL with an appropriate xover?

I'm still hoping, you see

Kommentar

• mr_push_pull
        Registrierter Benutzer

Original geschrieben von HCW

kindly regards
        Christian
        Thanks for pointing that out. I've just had a quick look at the VIB 170 AL details and I mistook G25FFL for G20FFL. I used the G20SC tweeter for the Alto-G, since the G20FFL is out of production.
        I just though that I could get away with just replacing the woofers and the crossovers.

Why do you think that AL170 cannot work together with G20SC/G20FFL with an appropriate xover?

I'm still hoping, you see

Edit: after a lok at the parameters for the G20SC and G25FFL I don't think that they differ that much. The frequency response of the G25FFL even remembers me of that dreadful DT94 tweeter. Of course the freq resp isn't the only important thing and the G25FFL may sond better, but I don't see any reason that should stop me from mating it with the AL170.

Kommentar

Lädt...
        X