• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • henri22
    Registrierter Benutzer

W200S as a woofer in a 2-way speaker

Maybe a strange question, but has anyone tried an 2-way speaker diy with the W200S_* Ohm version.
    The W200S_8 version taken to about 2000Hz with a tweeter as the SC10N or the DT94?

Or do I run into trouble when I want to produce the 2000Hz with the W200S8 woofer?

Second:
    Is the W200S_8 in combination with a fullrange (breitbander) an option?

Gr. Henri
  • Diablo
    Registrierter Benutzer

don't drive the W200S up to 2000Hz
    even the smaller W170S comes to his end in this frequency range!!!

a (in my opinion) rahter good idea is to combine the W200S with a FRS8
    when you set the crossover frequecy not too low (maybe 400 or 500Hz could be a first try) the FRS8 can keep up with the maximum volume of the W200S

and the FRS8 is a (quite good sounding) fullrange speaker
    and you don't have the problems with directionality at the high crossover frequency ("energiefrequenzgang")
    Die Chance ohne Tippschein im Lotto zu gewinnen ist fast genauso hoch wie mit Tippschein.

Kommentar

• CheGuevara
      Registrierter Benutzer

Re: W200S as a woofer in a 2-way speaker

Original geschrieben von henri22
      Maybe a strange question, but has anyone tried an 2-way speaker diy with the W200S_* Ohm version.
      The W200S_8 version taken to about 2000Hz with a tweeter as the SC10N or the DT94?

Or do I run into trouble when I want to produce the 2000Hz with the W200S8 woofer?

Second:
      Is the W200S_8 in combination with a fullrange (breitbander) an option?

Gr. Henri
      Don't make the same mistake I did!
      At the beginning of my "career" I combined two W200S with a DT94; the sound was awful!
      only with a crossover frequenzy of lss than 2000Hz with a Seas NoFerro900 the sound was acceptable. But with usage of the W170S I found what I was missing in the midrange.
      So if your priority are high sound pressure levels and a nice bass you can use the W200S with a good(!) Tweeter in a two-way combination. But if you want to hear fine details in the midrange better try a smaller bass-midrange driver (or a better one).

just my 2 cents
      Che
      Alle Datenpakete sind gleich,
      aber manche sind gleicher.

Kommentar

• henri22
        Registrierter Benutzer

Thanks for the tip!

But can't I use the woofer with a good fullrange, as like the B200?

And:
        If I use a fullrange, should I filter the low frequency's so that they won't interfere with the bass frequency's of the W200S8?

Gr. Henri

Kommentar

• Frankynstone
          Registrierter Benutzer

Yes, if woofer and fullgange are different chassis, you should build it as a true two-way system. If the crossover frequency is quite low, an active crossover makes sense. But if you want to build a fullrange system supported by W200S as a subwoofer, it is possible to let the fullgange run without highpass.

Well, B200 and W200S is a very funny pair, one is a "high end" fullrange (with actually a nice bass response) and the other is a budget woofer. If you have the money, so try it. I know the sound of B200 and it is really good. Its high efficiency allows you to filter the sound as you want it to be. A less expensive and smaller fullrange might do a fine job, too, if loud enough in comparison with W200S.

FRS8 is really nice as a tweeter. High frequencies are reproduced in good quality, f it doesn't have to produce bass. But FRS8 might be to silent, I don't know exactly if it fits the woofer. A combination of FRS8 and WS17E has been tested successfully. You like to read more, then please send me an eMail and get the plans back.

If only Visaton chassis are used, BoxSim is a very useful simulation tool. You can read much about it in this forum. If you struggle with the german language, we'll help you.

I have tested a non-Visaton 20cm woofer in combination with a horn tweeter. The crossover is still "under construction" but i had the impression that it could work well with a crossover freqency around 3kHz. Impossible with a W200S.

And I also have tested W170S combined with SC10N, the first one does not like frequencies above 2kHz, the other one dislikes lower frequencies than 2kHz. Well, it worked. Sound was not bad but far from being high end.
          PN-Box ist voll, bei Bedarf E-Mail: Frankynstone(ätt)gmx(punkt)de

Kommentar

• UweG
            Registrierter Benutzer

I wonder that someone tries to design a traditional 2-way-speaker and now really thinks about a FAST system - only because the woofer seem not to be the best choice for a 2-way-system.
            These systems are totally different.
            Very much closer to the primary idea would be an Alto II-speaker, e. g..
            Boxsim ... wenn Lautsprechersimulation gelingen soll.

Kommentar

• henri22
              Registrierter Benutzer

Then I have to sell my W200S and find a couple of W170S...

But there are a number of fullrange with a sub in it, like the Jota from Vifa combined with the Visaton AL170 as a sub.

I know that the Vifa 10bgs119 sound really good (certainly for a fullrange).

So I'm sniffing around what the options are,

The speakers I still have ar my workplace are:

Vifa 10bgs119 (like the ones used in the picolino) 2x

Visaton W200S8 2x
              Visaton WS20E8 2x

Monacor SP-200x 4x (fullrange)

Vifa TG26H-35-06
              Seas MP14RC/TV => Both for a bookshelf standspeaker

Visaton SC10N8
              Visaton W100SC8 => Both for a small standspeaker on the design of the Londo Merci's

My Finished speakers:
              2xW170s8 with the G20SC8 as a 2.5way system, and they sound GREAT.... even better than my previous DIY speakers from peerless/seas/vifa of around 500 Euro's

Gr. Henri

Kommentar

• Frankynstone
                Registrierter Benutzer

Original geschrieben von henri22
                The speakers I still have ar my workplace are:

Vifa 10bgs119 (like the ones used in the picolino) 2x

Visaton W200S8 2x
                Visaton WS20E8 2x

Monacor SP-200x 4x (fullrange)
                LOL, why not. Then you can try a FAST with W200S and SP-200X for high sound pressure and have a party.

Or build a fine two way speaker using 10BGS119 and WS20E. This will have a poor efficiency of around 80dB/W/m. But I'm sure, the sound quality will be great.

Kommentar

• GabbaGandalf
                  Registrierter Benutzer

you could also buid an FAST-loudspeaker with Frs8M and W200s,
                  it could have an efficiency of about 85 db.
                  wer rechtschreibefehler findet darf sie behalten!

Kommentar

• Diablo
                    Registrierter Benutzer

I have tested the combination of W200S 8Ohm + FRS8 4Ohm quickly in boxsim
                    looks quite good, but the FRS8 is a bit weak in this combination
                    The FRS8M does better
                    Just crossover it at about 500Hz (not lower) with 12dB/oct and it will certainly do a good job

maybe the strong peak of the FRS8M at about 10kHz needs a filter, but that should not be a big problem
                    Die Chance ohne Tippschein im Lotto zu gewinnen ist fast genauso hoch wie mit Tippschein.

Kommentar

• Frankynstone
                      Registrierter Benutzer

I just fumbled around with BoxSim and got interesting results for WS20E or W200S, each combined to one of these: FR8, FRS8, FR10. I can send the files via eMail.
                      Zuletzt geändert von Frankynstone; 07.11.2006, 15:59.

Kommentar

Lädt...
                      X